Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Free Printable Preposition Game for kids with Autism


Free Printable Preposition Game by Jamie Sue Austin. Visit this wonderful blog called Free Printable Fun for Everyone. Below is her post about a great visual tool for helping to teach and generalize prepositions. This type of game could also expand to various prepositions by putting velcro in various places, and expand in terms of other images - flowers, bugs, leaves, rocks, etc. Visit her site to download images.


My son is having trouble with his prepositions. So I created a game for him. This is similar to the games used in a speech or OT therapy setting and would be good for a child with Autism or PPD. I laminated images of lilly pads and attached them with velcro dots to clear plastic cups (so that I could demonstrate "under"). I purchased a set of cheap frogs to use as manipulatables. I created cue cards that show the frogs in various positions with the lilly pads. You can see a photo of the finished product above. Because not everyone will have access to the same frogs, I've included pictures of the frogs that can be used instead. If you are using pictures of the frogs you won't need the cups. But, I still recommend laminating the images.

2 comments:

Ralph Smith said...

Hi, thanks for your comment at TRICAPD ("Autistic Pride Day - Tri Cities"). I maintain the blog for Ruth-Anne (who's currently swamped) who asked me to say it's okay for you to link to the videos that you asked about. I'm not sure which "article" you mean but generally it's okay to duplicate web articles so long as the source is clearly stated and includes the URL of the original.

Glad to see a blog (yours) that says good things about autistics. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I am a speech therapist in Boston. This is a WONDERFUL, hands on, creative way to teach prepositions. Way to go MOM!