Friday, March 7, 2008

ICDL Floortime announces GLIMPSE, new online magazine of works by artists with autism

Below is the information I received via an email from the ICDL Floortime Group.
Announcing Glimpse
A new online literary magazine presents works by artists with autism and other developmental challenges
Washington, D.C., March 5, 2008 (ICDL). The premier issue of America’s first online literary magazine featuring works by people with autism and other developmental challenges offers more than a Glimpse into the rich, creative inner life of these individuals. Remarkable as both art and insight, these poems, short essays, paintings, drawings, and photography broaden our understanding of the creative processes in all of us.
Following are excerpts from the premier edition:
“If I go for a walk in the forest with a friend and they’re talking, I may as well be at home for I’ve missed the trees and the sounds; all I experience is their voice. If I notice the beauty around me I miss everything they said as I was focusing on the forest sights. So often I go on walks alone, but even then I find while walking I’m missing a lot of the forest. So I stop and enjoy a beautiful tree, but then find I’m missing the sounds and begin to immerse myself in the sounds of the birds and the leaves and even though my eyes are open I literally can not see the tree, my vision is blank. Then I flash back to the tree without planning to and it snaps me out of the trance I was in listening to the sounds. And so it goes.” Michael Moon in “ Autistic/Artistic”
“PLEASE LISTEN TO MY HEART
PLEASE FORGIVE THESE CLUMSY WORDS
JUST HEAR ME FROM MY OPEN HEART TO YOURS
THE LANGUAGE OF MY HEART SPEAKS ELOQUENTLY
WHILE MY FINGERS GRAPPLE FOR THE LETTERS ONE AT A TIME.
MY MOUTH HAS NOTHING TO SAY.” From “ Please Listen to My Heart” by Roy Bedford

Glimpse is published by the Interdisciplinary Council on Developmental and Learning Disorders (ICDL), a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the prevention, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of emotional and developmental disorders in infancy and childhood by promoting dialogue and integrating knowledge from different disciplines.
Please click here to access a PDF version of Glimpse:
http://www.icdl.com/bookstore/glimpse/documents/GLIMPSE-1308.pdf

No comments: